Digital Signage System Overview
A digital signage system is used to display scheduled digital contents on a TV. Those digital content can be static material (image, text), audio, or video clips. Users may interact with those digital contents by using mouse or touch screen.
Major components of this system includes: a TV (or a monitor), content-creation tools, content scheduling tools, and a content player.
- TV: 1920x1080 HDTV is the main-stream device. At least two HDMI input, one USB slot, and better with WiFi support.
- Content-creation tool: a software to create contents to be displayed on TV. It can be your simple Painter, Photoshop, or proprietary software. Content can be text message, images, video, audio, live TV signal or internet material (web page, RSS feed, tweeter, Facebook, Google calendar...)
- Content-scheduling tool: To configuration playback timing of contents.
- Content player: Based on the defined schedule to play back content on TV. Not all players support all formats of contents. Image is the most format to use. Video is pretty common, too. To support live streaming, web page, or cloud-material, that could need a proprietary player software.)
- Network: wired or wireless network are used to transmit contents from content creation tools to the content player.
- TV mount or TV stand: can hold TV set and hide all cables and extra hardware.
- Traditionally, a standalone PC is used as a content player, which is connect to TV directly. Then, you design content and schedule information in another PC, then upload to player PC.
- With Cloud server support, several manufacturer provides cloud-solution for content-creation and content-scheduling in cloud. Then, a small box that can display web page can be your content player, which push signal to your TV.
- Some TV manufacturer provides all-in-one solution, which combine content player and scheduler in TV. You can create contents in desktop PC and transfer to TV via network.
Solutions in current market
All-in-One TV: A TV with HDMI, WiFi, USB, content creation tool
TV + all-in-one player box
A TV + a player box. The player box provides functions for player, content creation and content scheduling.
UCView standalone player: http://www.ucview.com/digital-signage-players/signedge-50-media-player/
CMS + Content player box + TV
A central content management server (CMS) and a player + TV. The CMS, which is setup in your local office, handles content storage and scheduling. Multiple players and TVs can connect to this server to display contents. TV can be in different geographic location.
TV + Cloud CMS + Player Box
A central content management server (CMS) and a player + TV. The CMS, which is hosted in the cloud by manufacturer, handles content storage and scheduling. Multiple players and TVs can connect to this server to display contents. TV can be in different geographic location.